[erlang-questions] Release packaging (on Debian) and live upgrade

Anthony Molinaro anthonym@REDACTED
Wed Mar 23 18:26:06 CET 2011

Also available but not really released yet (in that I've use it for a few
things but not enough to warrant me calling it done), is a framewerk
template which uses rebar, and can be used to wrap and package things
from github which use rebar.

For instance I wanted proper from github so I did

% fw-init --name proper --template erlang-rebar --revision svn \
    --svn_project_path https://svn-priv.openx.org/svn/trunk/vendor/erlang/proper \
    --svn_tag_root https://svn-priv.openx.org/svn/tags/vendor/erlang/proper \
    --wrap_git_path git://github.com/manopapad/proper.git
% cd proper
% ./bootstrap && ./configure && make package
% rpm -ivh fw-pkgout/proper-0.0.0-TEST1.noarch.rpm

Which creates a framewerk package in my svn directory which is a wrapper
package for a github tree which will compile with rebar.  After the
make package command  I have an rpm which will install proper into
the erlang lib dir on the machine.

Also, 'make release' publishes the rpm to my yum repo (in the case of .deb
packaging 'release' puts the package onto an apt repo).

In addition you can always 'make dist' to get a self contained .tar.gz file
which you can provide to people to install your erlang package with
'./configure && make && sudo make install'.

The automatic app/appup stuff is separable in case you just need that stuff.

-Anthony