edown update - MarkEdoc added

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Mar 23 08:49:54 CET 2011

I recently pushed a nice little contribution to edown, called markedoc.

http://github.com/esl/edown

Edown renders Edoc markup as Markdown, in order to make the docs easy
to read while browsing a Github repository.

The easiest way to use it is with rebar,

{deps, [{edown, ".*", {git, "git://github.com/esl/edown.git", "HEAD"}}]}.
{edoc_opts, [{doclet, edown_doclet},
	     {src_path, ["src/"]},
	     {subpackages, true}]}.

then ./rebar doc will generate .md files, including a doc/README.md
Copying doc/README.md to the parent directory will break links in the module
index. These can be manually fixed, or you can try to automate it using something
like https://github.com/esl/run_eqc/blob/master/mk_readme.escript
(I'm working on making that more generic, but that seems to be quite a step
up in complexity).

MarkEdoc goes the other way, converting Markdown to Edoc markup.
The main use would be to maintain the README.md file as regular Markdown,
and convert it to a proper overview.edoc using MarkEdoc.

https://github.com/esl/edown/blob/master/bin/MARKEDOC-README.md

Many thanks to Henning Dietrich for this contribution.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.
http://erlang-solutions.com