[erlang-questions] Float to binary

Alexey Romanov alexey.v.romanov@REDACTED
Mon Mar 21 15:25:51 CET 2011

> It seems to
> know that F is 1.0 as it let me rebind it.

1) All variables in list and binary comprehension generators are fresh, so
<<F:64/float>> <= ... does not rebind F at all.

> If I have a float value. This happens to be a frequency in MHz which I
> need to convert to a 32 bit integer big-endian format in Hz how do I get
> the float into a suitable format.

Why do you want to convert it to binary at all, instead of simply
`round(F*1000000)`?

But if you do (e.g. you want to pack multiple floats there),

1> <<1.0:64/float>>.
<<63,240,0,0,0,0,0,0>>

Yours, Alexey Romanov