[erlang-questions] Erlangers in Montreal?

Ahmed Al-Saadi thatpythonguy@REDACTED
Sun Mar 20 09:40:17 CET 2011

Hi Kaiduan:

I am relatively new to Erlang as I have been doing most of my recent
development in Python. Ever since I heard Tim Bray at a software
conference discuss the problem of parallelization of computing, I have
been searching for a solution. Erlang is *that* solution par excellence!
Also, I find the idea of functional programming appealing not only as an
enabler of parallel computing, but also as a design tool as it lends
itself well to mathematical/logical concepts which appeal to my
engineering background.

So, yes, I am also passionate about Erlang :) I have been re-writing my
company web site using Zotonic, a super-fast Erlang web CMS and, like
you, have started an XMPP project that uses ejabberd, though haven't
started hacking the source-code.

I have created a google group (erlang-montreal@REDACTED) to
serve as a hotbed for ideas and a channel through which local meetings
can be organized. I tried to create erlang-canada, but that name was
taken and I contacted the owner to see if it can be used to start
similar groups in different Canadian cities.

I invite you, Todd, Fred, Francis and everyone else to join
erlang-montreal; if anything, it'll give you an excuse to visit a cool
city with vibrant software communities.

Cheers,
Ahmed