[erlang-questions] BEAM backward compatibility

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Sun Jun 19 10:55:26 CEST 2011

.beam files are definately backwards compatible meaning that files created
with an older compiler can be loaded and run in a later release.
We have as a strategy to atleast support backwards compatibility 2
major releases
back in time. IThis means that .beam files created with OTP R12B something
can be used in R13 and R14 as well.
The same strategy applies to the distribution protocol between Erlang
nodes. I.e a R12B based node can connect and talk to a R14 node.

This does not apply to files containing native code, i.e produced with
the HiPE compiler.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP, Ericsson