[erlang-questions] A PropEr announcement

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jun 16 14:59:23 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Richard Carlsson <
carlsson.richard@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 2011-06-16 03:18, James Churchman wrote:
>
>> Is this a fact or a stated FSF opinion? seems counter intuitive that
>> something that writes to an api ( even if it's dynamically linked ) can
>> be considered an alteration of derived work, as what is to stop someone
>> producing an identical api with the same, or indeed a different set of
>> behaviour, does the existence of this "new" api now change things.
>> Better still what if it targets an intermediate api. In that case if all
>> calls in your code go to notgplmodule:do() which is a dual licensed
>> opensource project, which calls gplv3 code, what happens then??
>>

> Here's a good summary of the FSF's thoughts about combined works, from the
> GPL FAQ:
>
> "Where's the line between two separate programs, and one program with two
> parts? This is a legal question, which ultimately judges will decide. We
> believe that a proper criterion depends both on the mechanism of
> communication (exec, pipes, rpc, function calls within a shared address
> space, etc.) and the semantics of the communication (what kinds of
> information are interchanged).
>  If the modules are included in the same executable file, they are
> definitely combined in one program. If modules are designed to run linked
> together in a shared address space, that almost surely means combining them
> into one program.
>  By contrast, pipes, sockets and command-line arguments are communication
> mechanisms normally used between two separate programs. So when they are
> used for communication, the modules normally are separate programs. But if
> the semantics of the communication are intimate enough, exchanging complex
> internal data structures, that too could be a basis to consider the two
> parts as combined into a larger program."

What a load of complete and utter nonsense - what does "are intimate enough
mean" etc.

What about systems that are non-deterministic? If I send a message to a
black box
and it tosses a dice to see if it will reply then surely this is not an
"intimate communication"

Black box abstract says that two systems are identical if their observed I/O
behavior is identical.
But if I open the black box and discover either one or two communicating
things inside then
the law is *different* since in the one case I do not have to consider the
intimacy of the relationship and the
other I do.

The basic idea in object-oriented programming is *independent* objects
communicating by
message passing. Would a lawyer in a court of law have to decide if a
collection of communicating objects
constituted one program or many - what happens when you put them all in the
same address space
like smalltalk - is this one program or two thousand small programs each
with it's own license.

> By this reasoning, it is for example not sufficient separation to use two
> Erlang processes and use message passing to avoid direct linkage - the
> connection is still too "intimate".

No if you send a process it might on good day if it feels like it send a
reply.

Image two nodes one in Sweden the other on the moon with flaky communication
- sometimes a reply
to a message would be received sometimes not - anyway in the absence of a
formal proof one would never
know if a message will be returned unless you can solve the halting problem.

/Joe