[erlang-questions] A PropEr announcement

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Thu Jun 16 08:48:30 CEST 2011

As a commercial entity with (unrelated) IP to protect, I may be able to USE
GPLv3 software, as long as I don't distribute to others (free or not), but
there is no way I can CONTRIBUTE to GPL v3, because of the uncertainty
around usage-based poisoning of patents and other IP.

Regarding "others may make money if it's MIT" -- so what? Is the point to
help the world in useful ways, or not? Useful things tend to make money. If
there's an alternate, commercially supported, non-gpl license available for
payment, that solves that problem, but if you won't make that available,
choosing gplv3 just means you choose *not* to help a large set of software
developers.

Jw