[erlang-questions] wxWidgets

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Wed Jun 15 14:35:41 CEST 2011

The wx application binding of wxWidgets seems to be cause crashes on many systems, including MacOSX. After pondering on it I have a number of questions:

Is it the wxWidget implementation itself which is buggy?
             OR
Is the use of them directly in the BEAM which causes the crashes? Either through some inherent match problem, or version mismatch, or ...?

If it is the second, would implementing a completely separate wx process solve the problem? I.e. would it be possible to implement such a process which would make linking with wxWidgets "safe"?

If so, wouldn't it be better to do just that? Run wxWidgets in a separate OS process and use a (non-linked in driver) port to access it? Yes, it would be slower but it would work and be more robust.

If this has already been discussed and my questions answered please point me in the right direction.

Robert