[erlang-questions] How to do this in Erlang -- any suggestions ?

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Sun Jun 12 21:31:42 CEST 2011

Hmmm... on thinking about this more, I think I can offer a more useful
response. What you really want is the **OTP Event Tracer**

The general idea is you have an event collector, then you call
et_collector:report_event to send events from your processes to the
collector. Now your non-programmer users can use the et_viewer GUI as a
sliding window through the events (complete with a spiffy detail zoom
in/out). The et_viewer queries the et_collector for the events to display.

Now, for selecting the "event patterns" you describe, et has a concept of
filters which sounds ideal. Your users can choose filters from the
et_viewer menu and apply these to the trace display (they won't be able to
define their own though since it requires programming, you'll have to
supply the filters -- see et_viewer:start filter_fun option.)

BUT here's the problem -- your "event patterns" are not just filters, they
need some way of accumulating the events to be useful. AFI can tell, et
doesn't support this. So you can either patch et, or use an ugly hack
similar to this: make your filter_fun have a side effect of calling a
registered process that accumulates a maximum number of previously
filtered events and decides weather these events fit the filter's "event
pattern" (nasty, I know but...)

- Edmond -

See inline for a few more ideas...