[erlang-questions] How to do this in Erlang -- any suggestions ?

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta@REDACTED
Sun Jun 12 16:51:57 CEST 2011

Prematurely sent.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Banibrata Dutta
<banibrata.dutta@REDACTED>wrote:

> What would be a good way to correlate asynchronous events, spot patterns
> over a sliding window (s.a. of no. of events elapsed or time elapsed), with
> millions of events occurring simultaneously, using Erlang ?
>
> The set of possible events is known, and any unknown event is just flagged
> as 'unknown' (so all unknowns are similar). The set of possible event
> patterns can be enumerated, but is possibly quite a large set of patterns.

Was wondering as to what could be the approach taken to implement such a
thing in pure Erlang. My initial thoughts were along the line of maintaining
FSMs per event source, but with so many events and so many possible/valid
patterns, the thing seems kind of unwieldy. Also, I'd like a non-programmer
to be able to define new events and valid event patterns.

I believe 'Complex Event Processing' is quite likely to be the standard
approach for such things, as I've found from some posts, and solutions exist
in Java world for same, but both as an academic exercise (for the fun of
learning) and for a potentially simpler + better solution, would like to try
doing this is Erlang.

--
regards,
Banibrata