[erlang-questions] Running a release as a Windows service with erlsrv.exe and start_erl.exe

Ben Godfrey ben@REDACTED
Mon Jun 6 00:34:56 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I've been trying to deploy an Erlang application as a Windows service
and not having much luck.

I built a release package using rebar. I'm registering the service as follows:

    c:\erl5.8.3\erts-5.8.3\bin\erlsrv.exe add Rolf -c "Collects system
data for monitoring." -w c:\rolf -m
c:\erl5.8.3\erts-5.8.3\bin\start_erl.exe -debugtype reuse -args
"-setcookie xyz123 ++ -reldir c:\rolf\releases"

This fails with the error "Failed to query BinDir of release." in the
.debug file. Looking at the code for start_erl.exe, this is related to
registry keys. I can't see any sign of any keys which match the
pattern described in the source, but curiously the preceding call to
open a registry key succeeds [2].

Any one have any idea about any of this stuff?

Server is Windows Server 2008.

Ben

[1] https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/dev/erts/etc/win32/start_erl.c#L364
[2] https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/dev/erts/etc/win32/start_erl.c#L342