[erlang-questions] net_adm:ping/1 hostname

Maruthavanan Subbarayan maruthavanan_s@REDACTED
Fri Jun 3 06:24:33 CEST 2011

Hi,
I wanted to run a distributed system and I tried to do the below and got a error
1>net_adm:ping('tcpserver@REDACTED').pang
=ERROR REPORT==== 3-Jun-2011::09:48:45 ===** System NOT running to use fully qualified hostnames **** Hostname 192.168.10.125 is illegal **
Do I need to use only hostname and I can't  use ip addresses? I would like to know why because few of the networks which I came through did not have a DNS among LAN? One way I could find to solve this is add the ip against hostname in system file and proceed. (but this mostly requires admin /root privileges). Are there any other workarounds?
Thanks,Marutha