[erlang-questions] Losing data

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri Jun 3 02:08:50 CEST 2011

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 05:09:40 +1000, Bob Cowdery <bob@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Can anyone give me some hints on how to debug this problem. I know its a
> long-shot but maybe someone has experience of a similar problem.
>
> I have a real-time system that reads from a device using UDP and writes
> back to the same device using UDP. The data processing chain comprises 6
> processes:
>
> Reader - Decoder - Input to linked-in-driver - output from
> linked-in-driver - Encoder - Writer

Wondering: is there any particular reason why the reader and decoder are
separate processes, and the encoder plus writer are also separate
processes?

If the reader+decoder were one single process (reader module calling
decoder module) and the encoder+writer another single process, you could
reduce the amount of message-passing and get better performance. Probably
won't solve your immediate problem since you're not witnessing
message-bottlenecks (yet) but worth looking into.

- Edmond -