[erlang-questions] Losing data

Bob Cowdery bob@REDACTED
Thu Jun 2 23:02:34 CEST 2011

On 02/06/2011 20:26, Mike Oxford wrote:
> Can you pin down where you think you're losing the data?  You state a
> hard number....where in the chain are you measuring?

I've been trying to do that for several days but it's really hard to
track it all the way through in one go because the buffer size changes
in different stages and its not even multiples, it only comes together
in fixed size blocks at each end. When I check each stage individually
I'm failing to find any problem. I see I've lost blocks overall but the
stage I'm looking at has no breaks in the pattern. They all seem to
process the data correctly - and most of the time the input and output
keep pace. There is no code in the path that could just junk blocks.
> Usually in audio-processing you're going to run into issues in two
> main places; buffer starvation and codec corruption.
> Buffer starvation is pretty self-explanitory -- something in the chain
> cannot keep up, usually due to CPU load, lock contention or other data
> flow interruption.
> Codec corruption happens when the codec tries to use the new incoming
> packets against it's stored run-state.  If
> something happens (out of sequence, null packets, etc) the codec will
> usually do one of two things:  do its best and give you corrupted
> audio or just drop the packet on the floor as if it never got it.

This is akin to audio processing but the signal processing is under my
control so there are no unknowns in the chain.
> One more caveat with audio: output packet size is not usually equal to
> input packet size.  The most codecs do lossy-compression.  Just one
> more thing to check.

I'm using 48k input and output rate for the test.