[erlang-questions] Is Erlang a good tool for this particular project?

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 01:52:13 CEST 2011

On 12 July 2011 22:32, Miguel Morales <therevoltingx@REDACTED> wrote:
> I agree with the above poster, sounds like something like XMPP would
> be good for.  There is a smack library for Android that I've heard
> good things about.  When I was starting, because there was nothing
> specific to mobile devices I ended up using RabbitMQ and its Java
> bindings to build a realtime service that users could push/subscribe
> to.

Also, if your target environment (e.g., IOS) makes HTTP necessary, due
to protocol restrictions or whatever, most of these messaging and/or
integration technologies tend to support some kind of transport over
HTTP anyway. So for example, you can do XMPP over an HTTP connection
using XMPP-over-BOSH (which is a long polling technique), rabbitmq has
a Stomp plugin and there are probably other HTTP interfaces I don't
know of, and so on.

But in general, if you're not being forced to use HTTP, then as the
other posters have mentioned it might be worth considering the
alternatives.