[erlang-questions] Distributed publish/subscribe system

Kaiduan Xie kaiduanx@REDACTED
Tue Jan 25 16:00:56 CET 2011

Thanks Jack, Tony, Toby, Joe and Thomas for the helpful comments and
resources. Joe pointed out a lot of excellent points. The requirements
are listed below,

1) The system should be able to support tens to hundreds of millions
users spreading around the world, so the system will consist hundred
of nodes located in different physical locations.

2) Any user can subscribe to the interested topic, but only topic
owner can publish message to the group. We have no limit on the number
of subscribers in each group. It can be huge, for example, the fans of
Rolling Stone around the world.

3) The number of topics/groups in the system is unlimited.

4) User is not always connected to the system, not always connected to
the same node in the system, and the message delivery should be
guaranteed.

5) As to the latency, it should be in the range of 1 minute if
subscriber is connected.

I am doing research on this topic now, the other requirements are not
sorted out yet.

Thanks,

/Kaiduan