Gproc and gen_leader questions

Garret Smith garret.smith@REDACTED
Tue Jan 18 18:28:44 CET 2011

I am investigating gproc and gen_leader for further improving my
distributed application that today uses dist_ac.

I have been doing a bit of testing through interactive shells and some
spotty code reading.  2 questions and a request for guidance...

Based on some recent threads, I have been testing Abecciu's gen_leader
from the gen_leader_revival repository.
The warning in the doc mentioning that "only one gen_leader per node
is permitted, if used in a diskless
environment, incarnation must be adapted." was a little unclear.  This
warning only applies to diskless nodes,
since incarnation uses the registered name as part of the incarnation file?

Regarding gproc, I was hoping to use the global registration facility,
but the warning in the overview has me worried.
Since gproc comes bundled with an older version of gen_leader, will
replacing the bundled version with the latest
from Abecciu fix global registration, or is there more to be done?

gproc_dist is starting gen_leader with [node()|nodes()] which means
that only already-connected nodes will be
included in the global registry.  I am thinking of adding a gproc
config setting that will allow to control this, so that
nodes not online when gproc starts can be included in the global
registry.  Any guidance on this?

Thanks!
Garret Smith