[erlang-questions] Processes & Fault Tolerance

Angel Alvarez clist@REDACTED
Wed Jan 12 10:58:26 CET 2011

The entire list is Gold!!

While not having too much time for erlang issues i keep reading the list everyday.
You usually learn a lot of great things here...

I recommend this list even for non erlangers...

OTOH this is ciclic topic, the OTP picture gets reviewed in the list form time to time

and multicore always leads to some philosophic and interesting threads...

Regards, Angel

El Miércoles, 12 de Enero de 2011 05:03:12 Ryan Zezeski escribió:
> This thread is pure GOLD.  I know that all this stuff is covered
> in various places but seeing it compressed in this thread was really
> profound...for me anyways.  I'm to keep this in my pocket for the
> presentation I plan to give later in the year.
>
> -Ryan
>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Edmond Begumisa <ebegumisa@REDACTED
> > wrote:
>
> > UPDATE:
> >
> > I'm excited! I've just added hot take-over to my server program (for
> > specific jobs). I've watched one node take-over the handling of a request
> > from another as it's network connection died. The client didn't notice. Very
> > eerie to witness, and quite impressive how easy it was to add that
> > functionality if like me, you've come from other languages and imagined the
> > pain involved in doing this.
> >
> > Using Joe's illustration, I was able to do this without the functionality
> > of OTP supervisors, application take-over/fail-over, etc (even though my
> > application is an OTP application.) Just using redundant gen_server worker
> > processes watching each-other and updating each-other on state changes + new
> > requests.
> >
> > To summerise the important lessons I've learned from all who helped: In
> > regards to processes, fault-tolerance and the share-nothing principle...
> >
> > * We can say: Share nothing because we want to replicate valid state which
> > leads to one form of fault tolerance (a failed job can be done elsewhere).
> > * Or we can say: Share nothing because we want to isolate invalid state
> > which leads to another form fault tolerance (a failed job won't affect the
> > rest of the system).
> > * For job hot take-over + redundancy, one should think in terms of the
> > former (you need two or more nodes for this).
> > * For worker supervision + restarts, one should think in terms of the
> > latter (you can use one or more nodes for this).
> >
> > Supervisors monitor workers. Workers do jobs. In-case of faults: workers
> > can be restarted but also **jobs can be taken over by one redundant worker
> > from another**. This is powerful, Erlang is pretty cool :)
> >
> > I'm gonna go marvel as I plug and unplug my network cables now :P
> >
> > Thanks again to all.
> >
> > - Edmond -
> >

> > On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 02:17:39 +1100, Edmond Begumisa <
> > ebegumisa@REDACTED> wrote:
> >
> >  On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 20:52:50 +1100, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>  On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Edmond Begumisa

> >> Yes. There was some confusion about whether we were all talking about
> >> replicating valid state or isolating invalid state. Which I guess
> >> "fault-tolerance" could be interpreted to mean either. But I'm no expert on
> >> the subject so I shouldn't comment on terminology -- I just knew the feature
> >> I wanted and was pretty sure it could be done at the process level, I just
> >> had no-idea how! From now on, I'll stick to the term "redundancy" or Ulf's
> [...]

No imprima este correo si no es necesario. El medio ambiente está en nuestras manos.

 Clist UAH a.k.a Angel AT uah DOT es

 Angel Alvarez , Servicios Informáticos
 Edificio Torre de Control, Campus Externo UAH
 Alcalá de Henares 28806, Madrid
			    ** ESPAÑA **