[erlang-questions] no sasl output in erlide

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Tue Jan 11 22:05:20 CET 2011

Hi!

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 21:01, Daniel Goertzen <daniel.goertzen@REDACTED>wrote:

> I'm giving erlide a test drive (very nice BTW), and I really miss the sasl
> output that I normally see when using erl.exe/werl.exe.  How do I get it
> back?
>
> This is a known limitation for the current implementation. The technical
reason is that the default error_logger handler sends the printouts directly
to the tty, while the shell you see in the erlide console is just a remote
shell, not the stdout. I am currently working on a related issue and maybe I
will be able to do something about it without having to rewrite everything.

There are a few workarounds, for the time being:

* configure your node to send sasl messages to a file and use a separate
console to "tail -f" that file. For this, enter something like
      -boot start_sasl -sasl sasl_error_logger '{file,"/home/me/mylog.log"}'
in the "extra arguments" field on the "runtimes" tab of the launch
configuration dialog (that's bunch of Eclipse jargon, sorry about that)

* start your erlang node manually in a console and configure the launch to
use the right node name and cookie. It will then work as usual, the sasl
output will of course appear in the console.

* in your eclipse.ini file (in the eclipse directory), add at the end on a
separate line
       -Derlide.console.stdout=true
This will show the stdout consoles for all nodes used by erlide and will
probably look quite confusing, but if you are willing to live with it and
can find the right console, you can use it directly (with very limited
editing capabilities and ugly colours, though).

regards,
Vlad