[erlang-questions] odd one out

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Tue Jan 11 16:02:59 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM, James Churchman
<jameschurchman@REDACTED> wrote:
> hah well im sure it will be a great talk!!, but you can do "functional
> style" in just about anything + lots of languages have first class functions
> these days... PHP 5.3 , D 2.0 etc.. by that definition just about every
> language would be functional
> i think that the entire track would be beter named "things that are not
> java, php or rails for web" :-)

Yes, a number of languages, including PHP and C++, have been adopting
FP features lately. It's not such a bad thing.

The conference track is an offshoot of my "Functional Web" magazine
column that I write for the IEEE Internet Computing magazine. In the
column I try to write about (or get guest authors to write about) how
and where FP techniques and approaches can best be applied to web
development. It's not about FP purity, but rather about practical
application of such techniques for industry engineers like me. A
number of the speakers in my track have guest-authored or co-authored
in the column. All the columns are online here:

http://steve.vinoski.net/blog/internet-computing-columns/

The brand new column on Haskell Snap just came out a couple days ago,
so I'll try to post the PDF there later today.

If you attend QCon, which I highly recommend, I hope you'll attend the track.

--steve