[erlang-questions] UML or other modeling tools

Alain O'Dea alain.odea@REDACTED
Mon Jan 10 15:11:25 CET 2011

On 2011-01-10, at 5:35, Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2011, at 22:30, Alain O'Dea wrote:
>
>> On 2011-01-09, at 10:36, Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>>> - The FMC (http://fmc-modeling.org/) notation seems to complement
>>> Erlang fairly well, describing roughly the things that are most interesting
>>> to describe visually in an Erlang program.
>>
>> Hi Ulf:
>>
>> What success stories can you share about using FMC?
>
> None, actually. It would be interesting to hear from someone who's
> actually tried it. :)
>
> The most ambitious story around FMC is The Apache Modelling Project
>
> http://www.fmc-modeling.org/download/projects/apache/the_apache_modelling_project.pdf
>
> as far as I know.
>
> Last time I looked at it, the state of FMC-capable editors was a bit
> troubling. MS Visio supposedly supports FMC notation, as well as
> OpenOffice. Oryx is an Open Source project and an online editor,
> but it failed to convert me, at least.
>
> http://bpt.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/Oryx/FMC
>
> BR,
> Ulf W
>
> Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.
> http://erlang-solutions.com

FMC looks easy enough to draw.  One key for a modeling system for me is the ease with which it can be drawn on a flip-chart or whiteboard.

Tools that understand the semantics are less important to me. I imagine that OmniGraffle/Visio would work reasonably since they support the magnets and connectors elements needed to make the editing comfortable.  A more purposed editor would be interesting, but in my experience they limit the expression and annotation too much to be generally useful.