[erlang-questions] Erlang Intro/Evangelism Presentation -- Starbucks!

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Sat Jan 8 17:53:20 CET 2011

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 22:19:22 +1100, Michael Turner
<michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:

> "What do you do when your highly optimised procedures have to run on
> slower
> sequential processors? "
>
> How often is that *truly* a requirement?

It's not now. But the worry (which I don't necessarily agree with) is that
it will be in the near future.

> In those cases where it is, these
> people who sell tools to parallelize legacy code are offering something
> Erlang can't offer, except perhaps through NIF interfaces to those highly
> optimized procedures.  Either way, you're re-architecting the app.  And
> requiring that the app be re-architected in a way that necessitates
> learning
> a new language will lose out pretty often to doing it in a way that
> preserves existing skill-sets.  Companies like to get human skill-sets
> built
> for free, ideally by their competitors.  Up-front investments in
> training --
> even for conventional technologies -- are one of the hardest things to
> sell
> to management, in corporate life.

Probably true. But I am reminded of something very interesting Ulf has
just pointed me to...

"The Innovator's Dilemma (C. Christensen) as quoted by Todd A. Proebsting

"… companies [languages] that did everything right---were in tune with
their competition, listened to their customers, and invested aggressively
in new technologies---*still* lost their market leadership when confronted
with disruptive changes in technology…"

http://ll2.ai.mit.edu/talks/proebsting.ppt

- Edmond -