[erlang-questions] FPGA coming around the corner

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Fri Jan 7 13:56:50 CET 2011

"... precisely what these advocates are warning their audiences about! That
the *legacy apps and code will have to be re-written* in order to be
parallelised for multi-core. That's what the panic is about."

If that's the case (I haven't delved much into the sources you're citing),
then the real problem here is that these people are panic-mongers.  Legacy
apps are typically written for, and running on, hardware that's 5-10 years
old or older.  Even with Moore's Law running out of steam, the users of
these legacy apps have been getting free speedups every time they retired
old hardware and moved their system to something newer.  And if it was fast
enough 5-10 years ago, it's much more than fast enough now, and on cheaper
hardware to boot.  If it hadn't been fast enough then, or had required
prohibitively expensive hardware, it would have been rejected by its users
back then, and it wouldn't be today's legacy app.

The assumption seems to be that everything must be parallelized for
multi-core.  I fail to see why.

> My issue is that these tools really suck! May as well just re-write the
damn thing in Erlang

At any given time, almost every piece of software sucks and seems it ought
to be rewritten, preferably in a more appropriate language.  (Even I
daydream of how certain C++ features, used judiciously, would go a long way
toward cleaning up the BEAM VM code.)  Dwell on this perennial truth enough,
and you will go insane, guaranteed.

Oh well, as long as this is all really about impotent complaining, let me
jump right in with my own impotent complaint: it drives me crazy that I have
to type a $ in front of every variable name in PHP.  I was doing that in
BASIC in 1971, back when there was some excuse for parsers being stupid.
 What's the excuse now?!  In fact, it drives me crazy that I have to deal
with PHP at all.  But, you know, if I want to hack on skins for MediaWiki (I
do, at least this week, perhaps sanity will return next week), that's what I
have to live with.  The weight of history is great, people and production
software systems and computer languages change only rather slowly, and half
the people out there who are hectoring others about the need for dramatic
change are in fact only trying to sell you something you don't necessarily
need.  What else is new?

-michael turner

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Edmond Begumisa <ebegumisa@REDACTED
> [...]

> to be parallelised for multi-core. That's what the panic is about. That
> these programs and libraries will need to be carefully re-coded using lots
> of threads, concurrent data structures and unfamiliar paradigms like
> "transactional boosting."
>
> The Herlihy's are effectively saying: "You will need to re-write you're
> apps and libs in order for your users not to complain that things are
> slower, and here's a bunch of tools you can use that we *hope* will make it
> a little easier. But it will still be pretty hard."
>
> My issue is that these tools really suck! May as well just re-write the
> damn thing in Erlang :)
>

>  As pointed out in a recent thread touching
>> on the raison d'etre for NIFs in Erlang, NIFs are less about making Erlang
>> code fast and more about interfacing with all the useful stuff people have
>> been writing and debugging for decades.  And why not?  OTP is large, a
>> great
>> toolbox, but outside its core strengths, it only scratches the surface of
>> what people might want to do in software.
>>
>> Most of these "panic-stricken" people have probably heard of Erlang -- it
>> just doesn't necessarily solve their problems.  Maybe nothing can.  But
>> there's been great progress with tools that help model and debug
>> concurrency
>> in legacy apps, and that's probably going to continue.   They aren't out
>> of
>> rope yet.  Face it: successful software technologies take a long time to
>> die.  Whenever you log onto your bank's website, it's virtually guaranteed
>> that the part of the delay involves cranking up some virtual machine
>> environment to run some crufty old accounting package written 30 years ago
>> in COBOL.
>>
>> -michael turner
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Edmond Begumisa <
>> ebegumisa@REDACTED
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>  If the time is to come, then surely this is the *right time* for the

>>> On a related note: I'm curious -- why is it that many seem unaware of
>>> Erlang's advantages with multi-core? Even vocal MP experts that are
>>> advocating for the change in mindset you describe and the need for
>>> programmers to be aware of the disconnect and quickly adapt -- these
>>> advocates don't sound like they're aware of Erlang (at least they don't
>>> mention Erlang in their talks).
>>>
>>> A blog post recently alerted me to a talk Maurice Herlihy gave back in
>>> 2007
>>> entitled "Taking Concurrency Seriously: New Directions in Multiprocessor
>>> Synchronization."
>>>
>>> http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/Abstracts/070502.html
>>>

>>> http://ee380.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/videologger.php?target=070509-ee380-300.asx
>>>
>>> To quote him "... Computer architecture is about to undergo, if not
>>> another
>>> revolution, then a vigorous shaking-up. The major chip manufacturers
>>> for the time being, simply given up trying to make processors run