[erlang-questions] Erlang and the learning curve

Michael Connors connorsml@REDACTED
Tue Jan 4 10:45:29 CET 2011

On 4 January 2011 03:12, JETkoten <jetkoten@REDACTED> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've got my pet project in mind to auto-monitor
> and update an online book sales marketplace.

I considered learning Erlang for a while, and went through Joe Armstrong's
book and learned how to write some basic Erlang examples, but as for writing
production code or starting a project from scratch; I would have been lost.
There are a lot of new things to learn beyond the syntax. You need to learn
how to structure a project, learn how to think as a functional programmer,
learn new data storage mechanisms and become aware of what has been written
for you, and what you will need to write for yourself.

I wanted to do web-development initially, like yourself (I think). I choose
a web-framework, in my case Zotonic http://zotonic.com and became familiar
with it's codebase and started to write simple modules to extend it. This
allowed me to get started quickly and do useful things straight away. You
can find a comparison of web-frameworks here:
http://www.chicagoboss.org/compare.html

--
Michael Connors
Alencon,