[erlang-questions] Erlang and the learning curve

Miguel Morales therevoltingx@REDACTED
Tue Jan 4 03:53:22 CET 2011

I think Erlang, functional programming, and multi-process programming
are complicated enough to take more than a few weeks to learn.
It's great that you have your pet project in mind, that's how I got
started (I built a 2D MMO).

Just dive into the code.  Start to setup your environment, makefiles,
etc.  All of this will make you familiar with the Erlang environment.
Then just start with baby steps, and start building your application
step by step.
Perhaps start by being able to reach your url and pulling some JSON or
perhaps start a process that scrapes the info and saves it somewhere.
Your first version will probably contain some errors and performance
mistakes, these will be fun learning experiences later.

I've been using it for over a year now and I've just barely begun to
use behaviours and other more 'advanced' Erlang features.  However I
was able to build my pet project as a learning experience and
implement whatever more advanced features as I learn them.

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://www.youtube.com/user/revoltingx