[erlang-questions] Status of "frames"? Replacing records...

Mariano Guerra luismarianoguerra@REDACTED
Tue Feb 15 15:13:02 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri@REDACTED> wrote:
> As the creator of Reia, a language for the Erlang VM, I keep hearing rumors
> of "frames", a runtime construct which can supplement/replace records, and
> am very interested in this as my language contains two things (dicts and
> object instance variables/hidden state) which are great candidates for
> replacement with frames. As dicts are first-class constructs in Reia, I
> would like for pattern matching to work with them, and short of frames, my
> best choice is orddicts, which I'm strongly considering moving to for the
> interim, although orddicts alone can't supply the semantics I want whereas
> frames could.

Hi, I'm the creator of efene[1], and I too support something similar
to Javascript objects in efene[2], and I would like to have some
support for this at the VM level to improve usability and avoid doing
some things on my own that are far from optimal.

by now I use proplists[3] but this is the first implementation, I
leave the door open to change it to orddicts or something like that.

[1] http://github.com/marianoguerra/efene
[2] http://marianoguerra.com.ar/efene/docs/reference/expressions/struct.html
[3] I know about O(N) but for now it works and when N tends to be < 10
it's not a huge penalty, also the current implementation has the same
structure than the mochijson2 module generates and that is nice, I
plan to change it if I find a good reason :)