[erlang-questions] Dict size in guards

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Sat Feb 12 14:12:33 CET 2011

i seee, so due to improper lists they have different behaviour

Trying :  Len = length([1 , 2 | ok ]).
Gives :	exception error: bad argument in function  length/1 called as length([1,2|ok])

which is guess is ok because the list is improper and length is therefore undefined

and with a guard :

LengthFun = fun
	(List) when length(List) > 1 -> big;
	(_) -> small
end.

LengthFun( [1 , 2 | ok ] )

Gives small as the guard silently fails..

I guess the optimisation could still be made internally in beam somehow but its definitely more complex that it seems at first.