Some notes on making a random erlang program (egitd) faster

Andrew Thompson <>
Sat Feb 12 04:21:35 CET 2011


Just for something to do this week, I decided to pick a random erlang
project that was a failure due to its speed and see if I could make it
fast enough to compete. I picked egitd (the erlang git daemon that
github wrote) because it was a fairly public failure. It took me ~4
hours from first grabbing the code to get its performance very close to
git-daemon. I also removed ~1500 LOC along the way.

Here's the in-depth notes on what I did, as a series of blog articles:

http://andrew.hijacked.us/by_keyword/328/egit

Hopefully someone will find this useful and/or won't blame the failure
of egitd on erlang.

Andrew


More information about the erlang-questions mailing list