[erlang-questions] A suggested improvement for -extends(…)

Fernando "Brujo" Benavides fernando.benavides@REDACTED
Fri Dec 23 15:17:28 CET 2011

Hi fellows,

	Today I found myself writing a couple of modules with shared behavior (and what I mean by that is that except for an all/0 function with a different implementation in each module, the rest of their code is copy-pasted in each one of them). So, I said to myself: "This is a great place to use -extends!"

	And then I found myself in the following situation:

--------------- parent.erl ---------------
-module(parent).

-export([run/0, module/0, a_value/0]).

run() ->
  io:format("Module: ~p~nA Value: ~p~n", [module(), a_value()]).

module() -> ?MODULE.

a_value() -> parent_value

-module(child).

-extends(parent).