[erlang-questions] got wx working with R15B on OS X Lion

Wes James comptekki@REDACTED
Wed Dec 21 04:45:19 CET 2011

How to get wx working in Erlang R15B on OS X Lion.  (this is one way,
maybe there are others??)

1. install mac ports ( http://www.macports.org/ )
2. run: sudo port -f install wxwidgets
3. in .bashrc add:

export LDFLAGS='-L/opt/local/lib'
export CPPFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include'
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib
export LD_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/local/include

4. download Erlang R15B from erlang.org or

git clone https://github.com/erlang/otp.git

5. in the src folder run:

 ./otp_build autoconf
./configure
make
make install

(maybe one of the otp_buld options does these three installing in /usr/local ??)

6. run erl

7. run wx:demo(). to check if it runs

I saw that there is a mac port of R14B04 that I was going to try next here:

http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=category&substr=erlang

But R15B is working now, but with this error when running programs:

2011-12-20 20:26:25.547 beam.smp[28373:e0b] CFURLCreateWithString was
passed this invalid URL string: '/Syst\
em/Library/CoreServices/CommonCocoaPanels.bundle' (a file system path
instead of an URL string). The URL cre\
ated will not work with most file URL functions.
CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPath or CFURLCreateWithFileSystemP\
athRelativeToBase should be used instead.

The wx gui debugger is so much better than the xwindow version on OS X
Lion.  The worst thing was the pin-wheel of death when a window was
resized from the bottom right corner.  The only resize that would work
was clicking on the green maximize button at the top left of a window.

-wes