[erlang-questions] Any Erlang GIS software out there?

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Tue Dec 20 18:40:26 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Anthony Molinaro
<anthonym@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 01:17:27PM +0100, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
>> On 15 September 2011 18:06, Anthony Molinaro
>> <anthonym@REDACTED> wrote:
>> >  I'm interested in doing some reverse geocoding (taking lat/long and
>> > getting nearby cities).  While looking around I've not seen any GIS
>> > related software written in erlang.  So just wondering if I'm missing
>> > anything?  Anyone written any GIS related software in Erlang?
>>
>> GeoCouch https://github.com/couchbase/geocouch by Volker Mische is a
>> popular erlang extension to CouchDB that does GIS stuff such as
>> bounding box queries. You would need to have the list of interesting
>> stuff such as cities in the Couch DB already.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, but the trick is the interesting stuff, which
> AFAIK is not readily available (ie, city bounding box data is not
> easily available, even country data is not readily available as far
> as I can tell).  I ended up solving this issue by using a nearest
> neighbor type of setup, where I had the latitude and longitude of a
> number of cities (about 60K cities), so created an ets table which
> I could query using a bounding box around the current latitude and
> longitude then calculating the distance to all the points in the box
> and minimizing.  The nice thing about this is its very fast, is very
> little code and easily fits in memory on a box.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Anthony

anything available somewhere that we could see? It sounds interresting.

Someone added knn recently to geocouch:

https://github.com/tsauerwein/geocouch/commit/512e67111916bfaa1192f6c1229bdf4989d84192

- benoît