[erlang-questions] Non-blocking send in erlang: how to save memory when send one content to many people

Rapsey rapsey@REDACTED
Thu Dec 15 08:55:19 CET 2011

My streaming server is in Erlang and uses this approach. Though a linked in
driver is not a good idea. I started with a linked in driver but it was
pretty much impossible to get it really stable. With NIFs you can use
resources for sockets and stream buffers. They work beautifully.

I have a NIF thread that listens on kqueue/epoll and communicates with a
gen_server. Sockets are resources. Communication from NIFs to gen_server is
simple since enif_send exists, communication from gen_server to the NIF
thread is done by pipes (global library read pipe and write pipe).

The Erlang process that is responsible for sending data to the sockets
holds a resource to the stream buffer and a list of socket resources. So
the actual loop that sends the data is in Erlang and it calls a NIF with
buffer and socket resource on every iteration.

Sergej