[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang Computer Systems Management CONSole (or ECSMCons)

Wes James comptekki@REDACTED
Wed Dec 14 06:13:02 CET 2011

It is for managing the computer.  For instance, with my student
computer lab of 60+ windows 7 (25 dual boot OS X Lion), I can view
each lab with a set of workstations then work on each workstation
individually or as a set if the checkbox on the workstation and on the
"all" command, i.e. copy a file All command will copy a file to all
workstations or if checked will copy only to checked workstations, and
so forth.

An example: I copied the update of chrome 16 to to about 5-6
workstations at a time to work around the students in a lab today.
After I run the Copy all, I then run the Com All which then installs
chrome on each system.  Each of these is a selection on chrome then a
click on the command on the console (web browser view of the lab).

This process is done by running misultin in websocket mode and
commands in the browser send data to the websocket which is sent to an
erlang program waiting for commands which can send commands to all the
workstations that have an erlang program waiting for commands, but
every 60 seconds is sending data back to the erlang program which
talks to the web socket which updates the consol about systems that
are up and who is logged in.  With this data on the console (web
browser page) there are javascript routines that can tell me if a
system has logged in users or not, counts the users in each lab, has a
total for all labs and will tell me if the same user is logged in to
more than one machine - students aren't supposed to be sharing their
accounts ;)

-wes