[erlang-questions] suggestions for erlang drawing toolkit?

Richard Carlsson <>
Tue Aug 9 09:16:59 CEST 2011

On 08/08/2011 09:45 PM, Garry Hodgson wrote:
> for some visualization work i'm doing i need to be able to generate
> images from basic line/ellipse/text kind of primitives. we've been
> using PIL (Python Imaging Library) for this, but it'd be nicer to do
> this in just erlang. ideally i'd like to be able to generate PNG and
> SVG output.

If one of the formats you want is SVG, you presumably don't wan't to
generate a raster image as the master output. So why not generate SVG
directly? Using xmerl and the "simple" xml representation, the following

   <rect width="300" height="100"

  [{rect, [{width,"300"},{height,"100"},

Then export this via xmerl to an XML file "foo.svg",
and if you want a bitmap, run os:cmd("convert foo.svg foo.png")
where 'convert' is the ImageMagick convert command. Just install the
imagemagick package if you don' have it already.