[erlang-questions] Erlang to Python

Paul Davis paul.joseph.davis@REDACTED
Sun Aug 7 10:04:20 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Wilson MacGyver <wmacgyver@REDACTED> wrote:
> It's based on eep0018

> The author created https://github.com/davisp/jiffy

Loosely based on EEP0018 with modifications over time due to CouchDB
drifting and what the NIF API allows.

I have a simple test [1] for benchmarking mochijson2 and jiffy
together. I swear I had jsx in there but I'm not seeing it as a dep
just now. Either way, I'd recommend either jsx or jiffy if you're
looking for a JSON parser at the moment.

jsx is pure erlang, handles more character encodings, does streaming
encoding/decoding and follows EEP0018 more closely then Jiffy. Jiffy
follows mochijson2 more closely, only supports UTF-8 encoded JSON, but
its fairly speedy.

I'd be interested in seeing how Jiffy compares against different
languages. I've been meaning to tear out the NIF code and implement a
Python module with it to compare against simplejson but haven't gotten
around to it. If anyone wants help porting it to a different language
I'd be more than happy to field questions and pitch in.

There's also a previous implementation that for historical reasons is
called eep0018 but in reality it diverges from the EEP spec nearly as
far as Jiffy [2]. It's based on YAJL and is pretty close in terms of
speed to Jiffy but has issues when dealing with bignums and other
weird corners of JSON. This project is deprecated in favor of Jiffy.

[1] https://github.com/davisp/erljson_bench
[2] https://github.com/davisp/eep0018