[erlang-questions] Developing killer / open source apps

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Wed Aug 3 12:07:26 CEST 2011

http://code.google.com/p/erlyvideo/ has pretty much cornered this now.

> - Any telecom related...?

I have some interesting ideas here if you're up for learning megaco
and have access to kit (incl. network) for testing purposes.

> - Some standard protocol implementation?

There is a need for term (de)serialisation and data format translation
between common formats (XML, JSON, CSV, etc) which would be useful.
See this thread -
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-August/060405.html -
read to the end.

It would also be very nice to have a standard database connectivity
API - see this thread for a conversation that's currently going on in
this space: http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-July/060347.html.

> - Something new for next generation...? (Buzz words... cloud computing
> etc..)

There is already CloudI on github. If you fancy implementing
http://dataconstellation.com/ActiveFacts/index.shtml in Erlang then
I'll join in, especially if you decide to extend the mapping
capabilities to non-relational data storage engines. :)

I'm not sure it's really a buzz-word, but the community is pretty
desperate to get better support for profiling and diagnostic tooling.
See this thread -
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-July/060241.html -
there are *amazing* tools in OTP already, but support for working with
clustered/grid applications and chopping up the stats would be really
useful. There are projects starting to do this (my own, which I've
stopped working on for the time being and a couple of others) but
nobody seems to have *nailed it* yet.