[erlang-questions] Can't shut down Mnesia from within application

Lukas Larsson garazdawi@REDACTED
Fri Apr 29 08:50:48 CEST 2011

Mnesia:stop sends a call message to the application process to stop. That
process is busy shutting down your application and thus a deadlock happens.
On Apr 29, 2011 6:50 AM, "Chris Hicks" <silent_vendetta@REDACTED> wrote:

> I forgot to mention that if I comment out mnesia:stop() from the stop
function of the app so that it looks like this:
> stop(_State) -> %% mnesia:stop(), ok.
> the app shuts down perfectly fine. I can then enter mnesia:stop() into the
console and it will immediately shut down as if nothing is wrong. The
freezing up only happens when I try to call mnesia:stop() (or
application:stop(mnesia)) from within the applications stop function.
> From: silent_vendetta@REDACTED
> To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:35:36 -0700
> Subject: [erlang-questions] Can't shut down Mnesia from within application
>

> Hello all,
> I've got an application which, in it's start function, calls
mnesia:start() before starting the top level supervisor. The only thing I'm
doing with Mnesia at the moment is working with a single ram-copies table.
In the stop function of the same application I call mnesia:stop(). At that
point I shouldn't have any transactions or anything going on, but Mnesia
simply hangs and I can't do anything but shut the Erlang VM down and restart
it again. Any ideas what might be going on or where I should look?