[erlang-questions] The gen server simplified (how it works)

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 23:50:43 CEST 2011

On Apr 25, 2011, at 4:52 PM, David Mercer wrote:

> I am not sure what you are advocating in gen_server's stead.  Some others on
> this thread seem to be pushing gen_fsm as the alternative, but I don't think
> that's what you are arguing, since you have generally preferred lightweight
> non-OTP processes.  Are you arguing for more use of gen_fsm, more creation
> of roll-your-own OTP-compliant processes using proc_lib and sys, or less
> reliance on the OTP framework and more use of plain old Erlang?

I believe I am the one who brought gen_fsm into this discussion.
My intention was to exemplify a particular case of gen_server abuse, one where gen_fsm would have made a lot more sense.
I did not intend to suggest that gen_fsm be regarded as a generic alternative to gen_server, but rather that each abstraction has its own domain of applicability.

Just thought I'd clear any possible misunderstandings.

Mihai