[erlang-questions] Web Frameworks: which to choose?

Russell Brown russell.brown@REDACTED
Mon Apr 18 14:51:57 CEST 2011

On 18 Apr 2011, at 13:37, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We (a few friends of mine and I) are considering to learn some Erlang.
>
> We would like to create a web base application.  So far we've been
> implementing various apps using Django/Python, but we want to try
> something completely different.
>
> A quick search showed that there're quite a few frameworks available,
> but being beginners in the area, we do not know what we should be
> looking at.
>
> Any suggestions? :)

REST? Webmachine http://webmachine.basho.com/
Webapp, AJAX, jQuery? Nitrogen http://nitrogenproject.com/
Build it yourself from the ground up? Mochiweb https://github.com/mochi/mochiweb
Rails/django-esque? Chicago Boss http://www.chicagoboss.org/
Don't forget Yaws, too, which is web server that makes it easy to serve dynamic content http://yaws.hyber.org/

I can't really speak for the others (ErlyWeb, Misultin etc) as I haven't used them. Underneath you'll often find Mochiweb.

I can't recommend Nitrogen highly enough, I found myself productive in it very quickly and the mailing list is excellent. That would be my first port of call for a new web app.

Cheers

Russell