[erlang-questions] Quick question about resetting shells

Sun Apr 17 14:26:25 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:49, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1@REDACTED> wrote:

> What are the differences and pros/cons between eunit and common_test, and
> any good tutorials for setting up such a server as you describe?

eunit has lighter weight and is mostly designed to facilitate internal
testing of the programs at hand. That is, a single unit (usually a
module). Common Test on the other hand is designed for large-scale
testing of software systems, not necessarily Erlang. It supports
distribution and parallel testing. The downside however, is that
common test is tougher to get going initailly. As a consequence,
common test is usually employed for external testing.

In the etorrent project (a bittorrent client), we use eunit for a lot
of the internal stuff to make sure it works like it is supposed to.
But we also employ common_test to spawn alternative bittorrent clients
- written by other people - and make sure we can communicate back and
forth with them.

--
J.