[erlang-questions] Erlang beginner questions

Mode7James James@REDACTED
Wed Apr 13 22:34:56 CEST 2011

@Dan - yeah I will be building this and updating from a macbook, but
ultimately I plan on deploying to a blade.  That's another whole bag of
worms that I'll sort out when I come to it :)

@Mihai

Ahh, this makes sense.  I'll start by building my initial TCP and UDP tests,
but when I want to add a physics library I'll probably start by using a
port, which can be restarted, and then if I still need it to be faster I can
write a wrapper over linked-in driver, using the -heart tag.  This way, I
can deploy by starting the initial simulation, which can run independently
of the physics engine, which can be in another VM.

I love that -heart tag by the way!  First task I need to accomplish is to
get a ball moving around the screen.  Hello World!

I know this is off topic, but I've been reading about Rift's server tech:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/35960/Trion-has-built-a-server-equivalent-to-Sonys-Cell

It seems to me they could've used Erlang and saved quite a few years of
developing their own proprietary system?  I know, I know - showing my
ignorance here :)