[erlang-questions] Erlang beginner questions

Miguel Morales therevoltingx@REDACTED
Wed Apr 13 18:18:52 CEST 2011

Also, keep in mind that on mobile devices you can have a very severe lag
when the user is not on wi-fi so simply sending the location of the
on-screen ball will cause sync issues, specially if it's a multiplayer game.

Like you said, they'll be a fair amount of physics involved.

Even though it is best practice to use some of the gen_* modules, when I was
starting (still a bit of a noob) I decided to make my own tcp and state
machines using the erlang basics.  Although I haven't done this yet, from a
bit of research it really shouldn't be a big issue upgrading that basic
erlang code to say something like gen_tcp.  At the same time, you get a
better understanding of the basics.

At this level, you can prototype your architecture a little more freely,
like adding authentication at the socket/tcp level.  Sleeping before
disconnecting users, switching to ssl, send udp packets at certain events,
etc.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Mode7James <James@REDACTED> wrote:

> I'm just learning Erlang, so please bear with me.  I've read Erlang & OTP
> in
> Action, and am currently reading through Joe Armstrong's book right now.
> That said, I am currently a Sr. Flash developer, so my background is still
> little fresh concerning programming concepts that I'm sure most of you are
> already well-versed in.
>
> I want to build a server for mobile & flash multiplayer games that utilizes
> a secure TCP connection to authenticate people, but then opens a UDP port
> send/receive information.
>
> I decided to post here because all I need is a little kick in the right
> direction.  I figured my first goal would be to set up a simple server that
> is able to send/receive from a very simple client, written in Objective-C.
> This would allow the user to drag a ball around the screen, essentially
> sending the coordinates of the user's input to the server, it checks with
> the basic mechanics, and sends back so many frames per second the location
> of an on-screen ball.

My goal is to incorporate simple physics, but I really want to start small
> and get off on the right foot.  Would someone please walk me through doing
> this the proper way, using OTP standards?  I want to make sure that I don't
> create any bad habits, and so far I have understood the books I've read.
> Reading and creating a fully working example is two completely different
> things though.
>
> Thanks so much in advance!
>
> --

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24