[erlang-questions] gen_server & trap_exit

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Apr 12 09:27:31 CEST 2011

Hi Roberto,

You are correct, and you're definitely not the first to be stumped by this.

Gen_server handles exits from the parent in a special way, assuming that the parent is a supervisor. If the server does *not* trap exits, obviously it doesn't matter, but even when trapping exits, the gen_server will unconditionally exit if it gets an exit from the parent.

In the special case of starting gen_servers from the shell, the shell process is of course more likely to crash than the server itself, and that's exactly what's happening here.

If the module supports a start() function without linking, you might want to use that, or calling unlink/1 after starting the server.

BR,
Ulf W