[erlang-questions] Re: extract and parsing megaco message from pcap file

Håkan Mattsson hm@REDACTED
Thu Apr 7 14:12:08 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Zsolt Czinkos <czinkos@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Anyone has ever done something similar to this?
>
> I'd like to process pcap files containing megaco messages (among
> others). I'd like to filter and extract and parse megaco messages from
> this file and produce some human readable format.

The 'megaco' app in Erlang/OTP provides both parsing and pretty printing
of Megaco messages. It can even convert messages in ASN.1 format to text
format and vice versa. Together with the 'et' app and its
'megaco_filter' plugin,
it can also filter Megaco messages and display different views of them. On
the first Megaco/H.248 interop event, people found it so useful that they
wanted to buy our open source debug tool. :-)

One piece that is missing though is reading of messages from a file, so that
functionality needs to be added. This should however be easy to do as you
have all building blocks (scanner, parser, pretty printer, filtering
mechanism etc.)

/Håkan