[erlang-questions] Re: Erlang manuals problem when installing from Homebrew

Dmitry Demeshchuk demeshchuk@REDACTED
Wed Apr 6 18:58:28 CEST 2011

"homebrew" doesn't mean actually homebrew, right? apt-get really
installs Erlang with proper manuals location, but homebrew doesn't. By
the way, as far as I remember, the directory structure that apt-get
generates differs much from the one generated by homebrew.

I agree with the point about possible versions conflicts. But I don't
believe anyone would often call Erlang manual pages like
"/some/long/path/erl -man lists", he'll just use "erl -man lists" in
most cases. And this way he'll use some particular Erlang version,
most actual to him.
If reading several manuals' versions is required, it's easy to use
simple custom scripts. Also, it's possible to make erl look for the
manuals at the default locations first, and only if the manuals aren't
found there, look them up using $MANPATH.

But my main concern is not this $MANPATH thing. It's rather the
uncertainty of the possible mans locations and being unable to
configure them in any way.

Best regards,
Dmitry Demeshchuk