[erlang-questions] Re: Changing heartbeat timeout while the system is running

Michael Santos michael.santos@REDACTED
Tue Apr 5 13:59:32 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 03:17:41PM +0400, Alexey Romanov wrote:
> From http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/heart.html I expect that heart only
> checks the value of HEART_BEAT_TIMEOUT on startup and it can't be
> changed while the program runs. Is this correct (I hope not)?

Yes, the value is only checked on startup. heart is a port, the timeout
environment variable is passed as a command switch.

heart already supports changing the reboot command on the fly
(using heart:set_cmd/1), so adding support for HEART_BEAT_TIMEOUT and
HEART_BEAT_BOOT_DELAY (maybe heart:set_timeout/1, heart:set_delay/1)
looks simple. I can look into making a patch, if it'd be helpful.