non-trivial supervisor idioms?

Steve Davis <>
Tue Sep 28 07:09:46 CEST 2010

Hi Dan,

Just some of my experiences that may help... I faced much the same
issue(s), and also I wanted to keep application:start(myapp) and
myapp:start() synonymous. I finalized on doing the startup validation
in the app's start() function, then started the main supervisor only
when the initialization/validation was completed. I defined mnesia/
crypto and other dependencies as included apps and started their own
sups under the main app sup (as recommended
I experimented with start phases, but ran into issues when a phase
failed during startup (
1771:201003:maambghdccechjinphpl), so I abandoned that approach.