[erlang-questions] non-trivial supervisor idioms?

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Mon Sep 27 19:12:33 CEST 2010

Hi Daniel,

IMO, your first suggestion (having the supervisor create a connection in
init()) I think would be a bad idea. My understanding of OTP design
principles is that the supervisor itself shouldn't do any actual work, it
should only keep an eye on others who do do the work.

Your second suggestion would be much better. I'd approach it like Essien,
but I'd also wrap the call supervisor:start_child(ChanSup, [Connection])
in a function exported from the supervisor module...

new_child(ChanSup, [Connection])
   supervisor:start_child(ChanSup, [Connection]).

To reinforce what Essien said, your connection would 'ask' the supervisor
to 'create and keep an eye on' a new channel.

- Edmond -