[erlang-questions] how to get stacktraces of all processes?

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Sun Sep 19 13:34:26 CEST 2010

Anton,

This type of behavior is usually indicative of the fact that your
application has a deadlock.  During startup application_controller
starts all applications in your release file synchronously one by one.
If any one application has a deadlock, it locks the application_controller.

The most probable cause of a deadlock during startup of an application
is when it tries to issue gen_server:call/3 call from within
gen_server's init/1 callback.  Check for that.

Also make sure you included sasl application.  What I normally do is
start your emulator using "-boot start_sasl", and then start the
debugger (debugger:start()), include the application's modules in the
debugger's list of files to watch for, and set up a breakpoint in the
supervisor's init call, so that I can walk through the application
startup process.  Then spotting the deadlock becomes quite straight forward.

Serge