[erlang-questions] node to node message passing

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Sep 14 11:04:28 CEST 2010

Interesting - I think what you want is a message passing layer that "just works"
this should survive virtually all failures. What happens if you send a
large message
between A and B and B is "totally destroyed" during the sending?

Think B is a laptop and has just been crushed with a sledge hammer.

You buy a new B - reinstall the software and ... should the data
transfer proceed?

I think you need an introspection layer for things like this - you
need to start the
transfer, then go back later and ask how it it doing? - you might get the answer
"B is broken - waiting to be repaired" - but having said "transfer X
from A to B"
the system should "try forever" to do this.

You might want "transfer X from A to B and tell Y if you can't do this
within time T"
which is completely different.

Exactly what is "built-in" to the standard inter-process message
passing semantics
is a mute point. I think what you want belongs to a separate library function.

Actually I have > 1 macs at home - with bad wireless connectivity between
certain rooms - so this is a not uninteresting problem.

Some kind of "bit-torrent" algorithm might be better - suppose
connectivity between A and
C is bad - but between A and B and B and C is good - what then?

A very interesting problem ... some kind of gossip algorithm with
bit-torrent type
fragment sharing seems in order. Since it's your own network, bit-torreent type
fairness is not relevant ...

You have twiched my programming nerve ...

/Joe